Search This Blog

16 June 2011

One Green Bottle (Part I)

When I think back to the first time I set eyes on Little Willis Cottage I remember it was the type of warm September evening that used to remind me of the first days back at school. My brother Sean had bought the cottage three months earlier after being appointed Head of Chemistry at a high school deep in the heart of Midsommer Murders country. So when I learnt from my lover I had lost my job and from my employer I had lost my lover, Little Willis Cottage seemed to me the perfect retreat. A place in the country where I could forget what a mess my life had become.

To me what I saw as my taxi pulled up outside Little Willis Cottage was a quaint farm labourer’s cottages which displayed the scars of passing years and hinted of secrets waiting to be discovered beyond it’s facade. If it ever did once had a history as I walked through the front door I realised my brother had managed to eradicate each and every memory of bygone years. The warmth of the fireplace was gone forever replaced by a fifty inch plasma TV and where once may have stood aged oak dressers the latest offerings from IKEA took pride of place. It wasn’t until Sean showed me the guest bedroom overlooking the garden I discovered the soul of Little Willis Cottage. In that room with it’s lime washed walls I shared the cottage’s anger at the torments my brother’s refurbishments had brought upon it and looking up at the oaken rafters I felt a bond as I wondered how many souls had slept beneath them.

Oblivious to the needs of his own home and misconstruing the look upon my face, Sean began to apologise, “I’m afraid I haven’t got around to this room yet, what with the kids starting school.”

“How inconvenient of them,” I replied and Sean laughed. It was then I saw the little green bottle sitting on the bedside table. “What’s that?” I asked picking it up. Peering into the bottle I could see trapped inside four strands of golden hair.

“That! I don’t know I found it up here when I moved in.” Perhaps seeing the longing in my eyes Sean continued “you can keep it if you want I was only going to throw it out.” Gratefully I stowed the bottle in my pocket and followed Sean out of the door as he continued his tour of the house.
That night for the first time in months I slept like a newly born baby and when I woke with a smile on my face I discovered in my hand that little green bottle. Thinking nothing more of it I left the bedroom and looking back I remember smiling as I thought how happy I would be to spend eternity locked away inside those four walls.

Entering the kitchen I discovered Sean was already at the breakfast table and as I sat down he passed me the milk for my Coco Pops a wicked smile on his face. “Pleasant dreams!” he asked and when I didn’t reply but only looked confused the smile on his face widened. “The noise you were making kept me awake most of the night.”

“What noise?” I asked remembering how peacefully I thought I had spent the night.

“What noise? All I could hear all night was you moaning and groaning. If I didn’t know better I’d have thought someone was in there with you.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I replied but  my thoughts wandered back to the smile on my face when I woke and my cheeks reddened as I remembered at least a part of my dreams. 

“What’s the plan for today?" I asked to change the subject. "I thought you might show me around the village,”

My brother looked up at me as he continued to shovel Coco Pops into his mouth. “There’s not much to see and I’ve got this rugby match I’ve got to do to but if you want I can meet you in the village pub for lunch?”

“I’d like that,” but before I could ask more maybe even where the village pub was Sean stood up and picking up a piece of toast walked towards the door.

Reaching the door he looked over his shoulder at me, “I’ll see you about twelve,” I just about made out as pieces of toast flew across the room and then Sean was gone leaving me alone in a strange but eerily familiar cottage. Now that my brother was out of the way my body began to cry out for it’s first nicotine hit of the day but as I looked for my lighter in my pocket all thoughts of cigarettes disappeared as my hand wrapped itself around a little green bottle. I can’t remember how it got there but it seemed I could not put down. Placing it carefully on the table I studied it for a few minutes building up the courage to pop it’s cork. Nervously I reached out my hand and placing it on the bottle I pulled the stopper. Then came the bang!

No comments:

Post a Comment