Search This Blog

14 July 2011

Della


“Well that wasn’t what I expected!”

“Is that a good thing?” Tomas asked hesitantly as he put on his jeans. “I mean that is a good thing right?”

“Sure!”

“Sure?” Hearing the uncertainty in Della’s voice Tomas turned. “You really know how to make someone feel good about themselves,” he told her. “I thought we were friends?”

“We are and that’s why I guess it felt so weird.”

“Weird! I didn’t feel weird.”

“Not a little bit?” Della asked with that look one her face she was always used when she knew she was right. “We’ve been friends ever since we were at Infants together and I guess I always thought of you as like a brother only I didn’t realise it until today, until you know?”

“Until you slept with your brother!”

“You know what I mean, it just didn’t feel right. Did it?” Della asked and Tomas realised yet again she was making sense even though some part of him didn’t want her to.

“I guess. It did seem a little strange but I just thought that was because of the build up. I mean both our parents have been trying to get us together since forever. I guess my mum will be happy.”

“You’re going to tell her!”

Despite himself Tomas couldn’t help but laugh at the look of horror on Della’s face, “no don’t worry it’d screw her up. Half of her would want to throw a party at the town hall whilst the rest of her would be dragging me to church to beg forgiveness for my sins.” Seeing the smile creep across Della’s face he added “and don’t think you’d get away with it she’d drag you to church too. You know maybe it would be worth it just to see if the church fell down as you walked through the doors.”

“Not a chance I’m not scared of your mum,” Tomas raised an eyebrow and Della had to smile. “OK so maybe I am but if your mum found out that means she’d tell mine and Dad would be down at the church with us booking the vicar for the wedding. You’ve gone white!” She commented as she laughed at the expression on Tomas’ face.

“Do you blame me? Do you want to get married now?”

“No and I guess tonight’s proven one thing.”

“What?”

“Our parents are wrong. We’re not destined or made for each other. We’re friends and I guess that’s all we’ll ever be.”

“Just friends?” Asked Tomas feeling mischievous “I thought that I was like a brother to you or is just that when we were doing you know?” Dodging the pillow Della aimed at his head Tomas jumped off the bed and backed away towards the door “I never thought you thought about Richard like that. Ow!” He exclaimed as Della managed to connect with the tissue box from her bedside table and then he had to fight for his life as Della reached him and grabbed hold of a pillow.

Later as Della walked him home Tomas took hold of her hand and was pleased to find she didn’t pull it away, “do you think we can go back to how it was before?” He asked.

Squeezing his hand Della smiled lovingly at him, “I think it already has,” she told him. “We made a mistake that’s all and friends forgive each other mistakes don’t they?”

“I love you,” Tomas told Della “Its just a shame I don’t love you in that way, we’ve got everything else.”

“I know,” Della whispered as she leant forward to kiss him but Tomas pulled away. “What’s wrong?”
 
“I just want to make sure you’re going to kiss me as a friend. Remember I’m not family. Ow what was that for?” 

No comments:

Post a Comment